90 Percent Reduction in Electric Generation Greenhouse Gasses Projected by 2030
- Nitrogen oxide, sulfur dioxide and mercury emissions by 99 percent from 2005 levels (compared with 90 percent by 2025 under the 2016 targets)
- Water withdrawal by 99 percent from 2005 levels (compared with 90 percent by 2025 under the 2016 targets)
- Wastewater discharge by 99 percent from 2005 levels (compared with 60 percent by 2025 under the 2016 targets)
- Coal ash generated by 100 percent from 2005 levels (compared with 50 percent by 2025 under the 2016 targets
These more aggressive targets are driven by a plan announced in late 2018 by
The 2018 Integrated Annual Report covers the many ways that
Other highlights of the report include:
- Investing in Safety. NiSource is focused on an accelerated company-wide implementation of a Safety Management System (SMS) aligned with a framework developed for pipeline operators by the
American Petroleum Institute.
- Customer Experience Enhancements. In 2018,
NiSourcelaunched the first of its redesigned customer-facing web sites, with a modern, easy-to-navigate look that adjusts to all devices and browsers. The remaining customer web sites are being launched throughout 2019.
- Philanthropy and Citizenship.
NiSourceemployees spent more than 12,000 hours volunteering at local nonprofits in 2018, and the company contributed more than $23 millionto nonprofits across its operating area, including contributions associated with the recovery effort following the September 13event in the Merrimack Valley.
- Energy Efficiency.Â Nearly 800,000
Columbia Gasand NIPSCO customers participated in energy efficiency programs in 2018, saving them approximately $23 millionon their energy bills. Programs include rebates or discounts on home energy audits, high-efficiency appliances and HVAC equipment, weatherization projects and smart thermostats.
- Financial Performance. 2018 non-GAAP net operating earnings per share were in line with our guidance range, driven primarily by the company's long-term infrastructure modernization investments, supported by constructive regulatory outcomes and established infrastructure trackers.
NiSourceinvested approximately $1.8 billionin its capital programs in 2018.
"This report shares how our dedicated
The full report is available at www.nisource.com/sustainability.
View original content to download multimedia: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/nisource-highlights-new-emissions-reduction-targets-in-2018-integrated-annual-report-300822619.html
Media: Ken Stammen, Corporate Media Relations, (614) 460-5544, firstname.lastname@example.org; Investors: Randy Hulen, VP, Investor Relations & Treasurer, (219) 647-5688, email@example.com; Sara Macioch, Manager, Investor Relations, (614) 460-4789, firstname.lastname@example.org